Leadership Development Services
Leadership is one of the most critical factors in determining an organization’s success. Companies that prosper do so under great leadership. Great leaders make things happen. Investing in leadership development expands the capacity of individuals to perform. Effective leadership develops over time; it’s a process of learning, growing and developing. Our leadership offerings help raise the bar for success.
Today's leaders need to be more productive and demonstrate more skills than ever. They need to perform effectively, efficiently and produce results. They must execute viable business strategies. Effective leaders ask, "How can we take a good thing and make it better?" The seasons of a leader's career sometimes calls for a trusted partner to navigate with them. Whether sharpening an existing skills-set, providing a sounding board, broadening organizational awareness, developing executive presence or simply reminding leaders it's okay to have doubt sometimes, executive coaching is a safety net to give leaders a competitive advantage.
The coaching process is customized and adapted to fit your goals and objectives from start to finish and focused on your professional realities. We will work in collaboration to strengthen, equip and challenge you as a leader.
- Set preliminary goals and objectives to guide the coaching outcomes.
- Gather leadership effectiveness data (e. g. assessments and/or 1:1 interviews).
- Determine what should be changed or reinforced based on data collected.
- Review your motivation and capability for change(s) sought.
- Develop an action plan to achieve revisited goals and objectives.
- Use the co-created action plan to benefit you, you and your team and you and your host organization.
- Hold you accountable to your action plan.
- Celebrate the progress you have made!
360-degree employee feedback provides a holistic view of an employee by gathering feedback from a leader’s manager, peers, direct reports and sometimes customers. This data collection is ideal if an organization seeks sustainable individual development for a leader, as the leader gains an outsiders perspective into their personality. Each assessment is customized for the leader to align with known goals, objectives and competencies. Our reporting and action planning tools enable leaders to align strategic change within the organization for overall effectiveness.
We recognize the value of collecting internal and external performance data on leaders. We tap into several well recognized, valid and reliable instruments found in the marketplace. We will use, where appropriate:
- Emotional Intelligence Appraisal (EQ) – The EQ assessment pinpoints strategies to increase your emotional intelligence in the areas self-awareness, self-management, social awareness and relationship management.
- StrengthsFinders 2.0 – StrengthsFinders 2.0 measures your natural patterns of thinking, feeling and behaving to discover what you naturally do best (your talents) and learn how to develop them.
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) --The MBTI is designed to measure personality temperament preferences along four domains: Extroversion and Introversion, Sensing and Intuition, Thinking and Feeling, Judging and Perceiving.
- Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument (TKI) --The TKI is designed to measure a person's conflict styles in work and personal life. Five styles are measured against how much a person asserts themselves and/or how much a person cooperates with others. The five conflict style measures are: Control, Collaborate, Avoid, Accommodate and Compromise.
- DiSC Profile --The DiSC is an assessment of behavior at work and/or personal life measuring Dominance, Influence, Steadiness and Conscientiousness. Insight of other’s behaviors helps to break down real and imagined barriers between team members when results are shared.
- Polarity Assessment for Continuity and Transformation --The PACT assessment allows a management team to see individual and group interpretations of performance of key polarities within an organization. Typical polarities measured include: Change and Stability, Mission and Margin, Short-term and Long-term Planning and Centralized and Decentralized Decisions.
Organization & Board Development Services
Senior leadership and the governing board are ultimately responsible for the overall health of the organization. It’s their duty to cover governance, strategy and succession planning. Is your senior leadership and board on the right track? Are they working effectively together for the overall benefit of the organization? Do they have mission and vision with thoughtfully planned strategic goals and objectives to guide and direct employees?
When employees understand how their daily tasks align with the organization's mission and vision, their work becomes more meaningful. And when work becomes more meaningful, people enjoy what they are doing. And when people enjoy what they are doing, they deliver better results. How is the health of your organization? Our organization and board services can help strengthen structures already in place or design strategies with your desired goals in mind.
Our customized employee engagement surveys are designed specifically with your organization's unique goals and objectives in mind to help gain valuable insight as to the health of the organization. These surveys provide a direct means of assessing employee opinions that would otherwise be unreported. They can be used to gather feedback on a variety of issues such the organization's success in communicating its mission to the quality of the working environment. By assessing people, structure, strategy, culture and operations, we can help ensure organizational alignment with strategic goals, measure employee engagement and drive business improvement.
Mentorship Systems Design
Mentoring is a time-proven strategy that allows a younger generation to benefit from senior experience. Formalized mentorship programs allow for senior leaders to pour knowledge and skill to newer members of the organization. A well-designed mentorship program has key essential elements to make it successful: screening potential mentors, making matches based on the interests of the mentor and mentee, providing adequate training for the mentor, and offering post-match training and support. We can assist in designing and implementing a formal mentorship program that taps into the wealth of experience that already exists within your organization to pass along to the next generation.
To meet today's business challenges, organizational leaders must execute viable business strategies that will project them into the future to keep them running strong. They need long-term priorities, goals and objectives linked with practical strategies and initiatives that move the organization toward its stated purpose. How do they get there? With a well thought-out strategic plan.
However, creating a strategic plan can be a challenging undertaking. With a systematic approach, essential elements can be assembled into a logical, comprehensive final product. We can assist your organization in developing a strong strategic plan aimed at a productive future. A strategic plan developed by senior leadership and/or the governing board with our assistance means your organization will have a customized strategic planning framework and process that can be leveraged for optimal organizational effectiveness.
Models we routinely leverage include: Future Search, Polarity Assessment for Continuity and Transformation, SWOT Analysis, Whole Scale Change and Open Space Technology.
Executing strategic initiatives and delivering on bottom-line business goals are essential to a board's success. Is your board aligned to meet those expectations? Boards that regularly assess their strategy report greater productivity and have assurance they are operating to their full-potential. Boards that do not evaluate, run the risk of impairing the organization's performance.
Our board development offerings gauge overall board effectiveness. We provide expertise on managing and developing executive teams and work with clients to implement a process that helps improve overall board performance. We work with boards to assess board dynamics, evaluate individual and collective abilities and contributions, conduct board effectiveness evaluations and align, plan and assist implementing strategic change and goals.
Leaders at one in five organizations are unprepared to deal with the sudden loss of key executives according to a recent online survey of 1,098 senior managers and executives conducted by American Management Association's Corporate Learning Solutions. Regardless of the size of your organization, succession planning and management demands thought and attention. Putting a succession process in place enables an organization to tap into an ongoing pool of talent at all levels.
Is your organization prepared for a sudden loss of key individuals? Effective succession planning doesn't happen overnight. It's a process that requires ongoing thought and planning. Targeting and developing candidates who will be ready to take on leadership roles when the time comes not only benefits the organization, but also your customers. We can help with your succession planning, so you and your organization can be prepared when its needed most.
Team Development Services
Our clients have shown us some common themes occurring in organizations. As a result, we have designed some training and development courses to meet these needs. Each course will be customized to your organization’s desired outcomes.
Multiple courses can also be put together to develop a leadership curriculum. We have developed a 6-12-month curriculum for executive teams using many of the topics listed. Curriculum length is based upon your teams desired outcomes. This customized curriculum equips and challenges teams to higher levels of performance.
Building a Culture of Trust
Any lasting structure is built upon a solid foundation. Similarly, an organization is dependent on the foundation of leaders, team and corporate trust. Research suggests there is a healthy correlation between trust within the organization and bottom line results. Honest leaders ask themselves, “Is trust affecting the productivity of my workplace? Are there tangible steps I should take to cultivate deeper trust?” This course examines the behaviors that advance trust and invites participants to take an act role in influencing a culture of trust.
- Identify the rampant culture of mistrust in today’s corporate culture
- Acknowledge the myths associated with trust
- Experience how ambiguity cultivates low trust
- Understand behaviors necessary for cultivating high trust environments
- Understand how a high-trust environment increases organizational outcomes
- Prioritize behaviors necessary for building a culture of trust
Conflict Competencies: A Necessary Business Objective
Conflict, whether low, mild or high, is inevitable in the workplace. Learning how to sharpen one’s conflict competency is critical for superior results. This conflict competency course is designed for participants to identify conflict in the workplace, assess their personal conflict styles and gain practical skills to leverage conflict constructively.
- Identify conflict in work and personal environments
- Understand and leverage one’s conflict management styles
- Gain skills in negotiating conflict in the workplace
- Assess situations where constructive conflict can be used for mutual benefit
High Performance Teams
Teams are more fluid than they are fixed entities within today’s fast paced organizations. Team are required to be agile, pivot quickly, orient new members or adapt to new expectations on a dime. Knowing what knowledge and skills teams need to meet these fluid states is more vital than ever. This course provides tangible knowledge and skills for individuals and teams for increased effectiveness.
- Understand the necessary ingredients for high performance teams
- Appreciate the predictable team development cycle
- Identify vital roles for teams to be productive
- Identify shared and individual responsibilities
- Understand how power plays a role in team health
Leverage Organizational Tensions
The pressure has never been higher for organizations to constantly change. However, management literature suggests most organizational change initiatives fail between 60-75% of the time. What is going on? Maybe employee resistance should be reexamined? This course provides leaders a framework for recognizing subtle symptoms of resistance and take steps to leverage both the change that is sought but also the continuity desired by the organization.
- Relook at employee resistance
- Understand various types of resistance in the workplace and see the upside to employee resistance
- Recognize that not everything is a problem to solve
- Recognize the difference between problems-to-solve ("either/or" thinking) and polarities-to-leverage ("both/and" thinking)
- Leverage key interdependent pairs (i.e. polarities) within organizational climate
Change Management: A Receiver's Perspective
There are many models in the marketplace on how to implement change. Leaders do not lack for knowledge on “how to do change.” However, there seems to be a void of content on preparing employees for change initiatives. Truth is leaders misunderstand the impact of the changes they declare and miscalculate the time to effectively prepare the workforce. This course focuses on the rationale and emotional side to change from an employee’s perspective.
- Recognize the reality and rapid-fire pace of change
- Expand understanding on why change initiatives are resisted
- See the employee emotional side of changes at work
- Gain skills to navigate the predictable stages of a change model
- Equip with the predictable stages of the change curve
- Sharpen resiliency skills for when change occurs
We enter the work force knowing how to read and write and have often educated ourselves in a field of expertise. However, too often, we lack the skills to manage our emotions when the temperature rises or we're placed under pressure. We need tools that help us mange, adapt and communicate effectively with maximum impact. Understanding emotional intelligence (EQ) is key. This course develops knowledge on EQ and its power to improve your life and strengthen relationships.
- Recognize the role EQ has on one’s life and what it looks like
- Understand the four core skills of EQ
- Assess our own personal EQ
- Be equipped to develop personal strategies in the four skills of EQ
- Make explicit connections between EQ and work performance
Managing & Leading
Management and Leadership are not necessarily the same thing. How does each role approach decision-making? How does each approach change and continuity within the organization? What should a leader focus on for the benefit of the organization and, what does the manager focus on for the benefit of the organization? This session will equip both managers and leaders alike with the knowledge about the distinctive competencies.
Make a distinction between managing and leading an organization
Compare and contract management and leadership competencies
Understand change strategies as a manager and a leader
Gain insight on Four Levels of Leadership decision-making model
Examine various definitions of leadership styles
My Leadership Style & Core Values
There is no "one size fits all" leadership style that applies in every situation. What's needed in today's complex organizations is a leader who knows their core values and lives into them, and a leader who is equipped with using different leadership styles in changing environments. This session provides the tools to idenify core values and align them with leadership styles.
Deepen understanding of four common personality assessments (i.e. Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), DiSC, Thomas-Kilmann Instrument (TKI) and Emotional Intelligence (EQ)
Recognize the integration of personality assessments in practical ways
Identify one's leadership core values
See the connection between decision-making and your core values
Building on Your Strengths
Gallup studies indicate that people who focus on their strengths every day are six times more likely to be engaged in their jobs and three times more likely to report having an excellent quality of life. Do you know your personality strengths so you can live and work to the fullest? Do you have the oportunity to do what you do best every day? This course is designed to understand your strengths and use them to maximize your talent.
Using StrengthFinders, assess your top five personality themes where you have the greatest potential to develop strengths and interests
Deepen insight as to what makes you unique as a person, professional, friend and community member
Understand unique strengths and talents within a team
Learn strategies for best use of your strengths